|Imię i nazwisko
|Stopnie i tytuły naukowe
Zespół Badawczy Socjologii Polityki, Gospodarki i Edukacji
|Obszary zainteresowań naukowych
– new institutionalism
– environmental sociology
– public policy analysis
– environmental governance governance
– discourse analysis
I am a social scientists and a post-doc at the Institute of Philosophy and Sociology, Polish Academy of Sciences. My research interests cover environmental sociology and politics with a focus on the directions and determinants of public policy development, especially connected with environmental protection and sustainability. In my PhD, informed by new institutionalism, I investigated the impact of socio-economic transformations, institutions, actors and their discourses on the development of biodiversity conservation policy in Poland. Further, I focused on the questions of participatory modes of governance in managing ecosystem services of protected areas in Poland. My current research addresses dynamics of wildlife policy and governance in Poland, Belarus and Germany in the light of institutional theory.
- January 2013
PhD in Environmental Social Science, Sustainability Research Institute, School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds (Institutional dynamics of nature conservation policy in Poland; Supervisors: Prof. Jouni Paavola; Prof. Andy Gouldson; Prof. Bogumila Jedrzejewska)
- October 2007 – January 2008
Research fellowship at the Sustainability Research Institute, University of Leeds within the Marie Curie Transfer of Knowledge Programme, 6. FP.
- October 2004
MSc in Law and Administration, University of Warsaw, Poland
- September 2002 – March 2003
ERASMUS scholarship, Europa Universität Viadrina, Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
- September 2002
MSc, Warsaw School of Economics, Poland
- Since 2015
Institute of Philosophy and Sociology, Polish Academy of Sciences (adiunkt – assistant professor)
Mammal Research Institute, Polish Academy of Sciences (coordinator of a sustainable development project, research specialist, assistant professor)
- Niedziałkowski, K., & Shkaruba, A. (2018). Governance and legitimacy of the Forest Stewardship Council certification in the national contexts – A comparative study of Belarus and Poland. Forest Policy and Economics, 97, 180-188.
- Niedziałkowski, K., Komar, E., Pietrzyk-Kaszyńska, A., Olszańska, A., & Grodzińska-Jurczak, M. (2018). Discourses on Public Participation in Protected Areas Governance: Application of Q Methodology in Poland. Ecological Economics, 145, 401-409.
- Niedziałkowski, K. (2017). Kryzys sektora planowania przestrzennego w Polsce jako przykład deinstytucjonalizacji. Studia Polityczne, 45(2), 53-73.
- Niedziałkowski, K. (2017). Wielopoziomowe venue shopping a europeizacja polskiej polityki ochrony przyrody. In U. Kurczewska & K. Jasiecki (Eds.), Reprezentacja interesów gospodarczych i społecznych w Unii Europejskiej (pp. 129-157). Warszawa: Wydawnictwa Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego.
- Niedziałkowski, K. (2016) Why do foresters oppose the enlargement of the Białowieża National Park? The motivation of the employees of the State Forest Holding as perceived by social actors engaged in the conflict over the Białowieża Forest. Forest Research Papers, 77(4).
- Pietrzyk-Kaszyńska A., Rechciński M., Olszańska A., Mączka K., Matczak P., Niedziałkowski K., Cent J., Peek B., Grodzińska-Jurczak M. (2016), Ecosystem services of naturally valuable areas from the perspective of different groups of stakeholders. Kraków: Instytut Ochrony Przyrody PAN. [In Polish].
- Niedziałkowska M, Jędrzejewska B, Danyłow J, Niedziałkowski K. 2016. Diverse rates of gene flow and long-distance migration in two moose Alces alces subpopulations in Europe. Mammal Research 61: 171-178.
- Niedziałkowska M, Hundertmark KJ, Jędrzejewska B, Sidorovich VE, Zalewska H, Veeroja R, Solberg E, Laaksonen S, Sand H, Solovyev VA, Sagaydak A, Tiainen J, Juskaitis R, Done G, Borodulin VA, Tulandin EA, Niedziałkowski K. 2016. The contemporary genetic pattern of European moose is shaped by postglacial recolonization, bottlenecks, and the geographical barrier of the Baltic Sea. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 117: 879-894.
- Niedziałkowski, K., Pietrzyk-Kaszyńska, A., Pietruczuk, M., & Grodzińska-Jurczak, M. (2015). Assessing participatory and multi-level characteristics of biodiversity and landscape protection legislation: the case of Poland. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 1-21.
- Niedziałkowski, K., Blicharska, M., Mikusiński, G., Jędrzejewska, B., 2014. Why is it difficult to enlarge a protected area? Ecosystem services perspective on the conflict around the extension of the Białowieża National Park in Poland. Land Use Policy 38: 314-329.
- Niedziałkowska M, Hundertmark KJ, Jędrzejewska B, Niedziałkowski K, Sidorovich VE, Górny M, Veeroja R, Solberg EJ, Laaksonen S, Sand H, Solovyev VA, Shkvyria M, Tiainen J, Okhlopkov IM, Juškaitis R, Done G, Borodulin VA, Tulandin EA, Jędrzejewski W., 2014. Spatial structure in European moose (Alces alces): genetic data reveal a complex population history. Journal of Biogeography 41: 2173-2184.
- Niedziałkowski, K., Paavola, J., Jędrzejewska, B., 2013. Governance of biodiversity in Poland before and after the accession to the EU: the tale of two roads. Environmental Conservation 40: 108-118.
- Cent, J., Mertens, C., Niedziałkowski, K., 2013. Roles and impacts of non-governmental organizations in Natura 2000 implementation in Hungary and Poland. Environmental Conservation 40: 119-128.
- Niedziałkowski K., Paavola J., Jędrzejewska B. 2012. Participation and Protected Areas Governance: the Impact of Changing Influence of Local Authorities on the Conservation of the Bialowieza Primeval Forest, Poland. Ecology and Society 17 (1): 2.
- Kowalczyk R., Ławreszuk D., Niedziałkowski K., Wójcik M.J. 2010. Recommendations for the strategy of the European bison conservation in the Białowieża Forest. [In:] Kowalczyk R., Ławreszuk D., Wójcik M. J. (eds.) European bison conservation in the Białowieża Forest. Threats and perspectives for the development of the population. Białowieża: Mammal Research Institute PAS, 211-217. [In Polish].
- Niedziałkowski K. 2009. Protection of nature and landscape in cooperation with local communities – Evidence from the national parks in England. [In:] Andrzejewska A., Lubański A. (eds.) Sustainability and effectiveness of nature conservation in the Polish national parks. Izabelin: Kampinoski Park Narodowy, 67-79. [In Polish]
- Niedziałkowski K., Jędrzejewski W., Nowak S. 2009. Proposed legal changes to protect ecological corridors. [In:] Jędrzejewski W., Ławreszuk D. (eds.) Protection of ecological connectivity in Poland. Białowieża: Mammal Research Institute PAS, 268-271. [In Polish]
- Niedziałkowski K. 2009. Protection of ecological connectivity in Europe. [In:] Jędrzejewski W., Ławreszuk D. (eds.) Protection of ecological connectivity in Poland. Białowieża: Mammal Research Institute PAS, 29-34. [In Polish]
- Jędrzejewski W., Nowak S., Stachura K., Skierczyński M., Mysłajek R., Niedziałkowski K., Jędrzejewska B., Wójcik J.M., Zalewska H., Pilot M. 2005. Project of ecological corridors connecting European Network Natura 2000 in Poland (in Polish). Białowieża 2005: 1-78 + supplements. Report for the Ministry of Environment under the Phare programme PL0105.02 „Implementation of European Ecological Network in Poland”
|Realizowane projekty badawcze
- October 2018 – September 2021
Reserch grant OPUS (UMO-2017/27/B/HS6/03067) financed by the Polish National Science Centre (NCN). Title of the grant: “Europeanisation of nature conservation policy in the light of institutional theory – Managment of transnational popoulation of wolves in Poland, Belarus and Germany”.
- October 2015 – September 2018
Post-doctoral FUGA fellowship (UMO-2015/16/S/HS6/00125) financed by the Polish National Science Centre (NCN) at the Institute of Philosophy and Sociology, Polish Academy of Sciences. Title of the grant: “Socio-economic transitions and the dynamics of public policy. Analysis of factors influencing Polish nature conservation policy in the perspective of historical institutionalism”.
- May 2013 – December 2015
Leader of a work package No. 4: “Implications of the use of participatory tools for biodiversity governance of protected areas” in the research project “LINKAGE – Linking systems, perspectives and disciplines for active biodiversity governance” financed by the Polish-Norwegian Research Programme (partners: Jagiellonian University, Kraków; Institute for Nature Conservation, Kraków; University of Tromso, Norway).
- June 2011 – June 2013
Leader of the research project “Socio-political and spatial characteristics of the ecosystem services of the Białowieża Forest, Poland” financed within the FP 7. project BIOCONSUS – Research Potential in Conservation and Sustainable Management of Biodiversity; This quantitative research included supervising a team of 10 surveyors who collected 720 questionnaires.
- June 2010 – August 2012
Leader of the PhD research project “Institutional dynamics of nature conservation policy in Poland” financed by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education; This qualitative research was based on data from a desk study and from 70 semi-structured interviews.
- May 2008 – August 2011
Co-author and a member of a research team in the project “Factors influencing the genetic structure of the Moose (Alces alces) in Central and Eastern Europe” financed by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education.
|Nagrody i wyróżnienia
Letter of commendation from the Head of the School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds for a paper in Ecology and Society (2012)
- Member of the Białowieża Science Initiative – an expert group of the European Forest Institute (2018)
- Founding member of the Environmental Sociology Section of the Polish Sociological Association (March 2017)
- Reviewer for the 2017 Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 2nd Nordic Conference on Forest Policy Science (November, 2014)
- Member of the expert group of the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) for the scoping of a regional assessment for Eastern Europe (2014)
- Member of the President of Poland’s expert group on national park policy (2006)
- Member of the Polish Sociological Association
- Reviewer for Environmental Policy and Governance, Ecological Economics, Ecology and Society, Environmental Conservation, Environmental Management, Acta Theriologica, Environmental Science and Policy, Journal of Political Ecology, Sustainability, International Forestry Review, Prakseologia.
- 19 – 20 October 2016
Workshop “Analyzing environmental policy and politics” during a course organized by the Central European University “Political and economic aspects of biodiversity conservation in the Visegrad Group countries”, V. N. Kazarin University in Kharkiv, Ukraine.
- 17 – 18 May 2013
Workshop „Environmental politics and governance” [in English, 2 ECTS] at the Institute for Environmental Protection, Jagiellonian University, Poland
- 2007 – 2014
Several lectures [in English] for international students at the Polish Academy of Sciences and University of Warsaw on socio-political aspects of biodiversity conservation.
|Wystąpienia na konferencjach, sympozjach, lub seminariach
- Niedziałkowski, K. 2015. Ecosystem services provided by the Białowieża Primeval Forest: A spatial approach. [International Seminar “Instruments of landscape planning for the green economy: Applicability of the experiences of the European Union in Belarus, 15.10.2015, State Technological University, Minsk, Belarus]. Inviting insitution: Ecoproject Minsk
- Niedziałkowski, K., Mikusiński, G. 2014. To which extent is the local opposition to the expansion of the national park based on a resource dependency? Ecosystem services perspective on the conflict around the Białowieża Forest, Poland. [International Conference Transition in Agriculture – Agricultural Economics in Transition, 12-13.12.2014, Budapest, Hungary]. Inviting institution: Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- Niedziałkowski, K. „Why have the wolves migrated to Germany? Socio-political transformations and wolf politics in Poland”, Pathways – Human Dimensions of Fisheries and Wildlife Conference (15-19.09.2018, Goslar, Germany).
- Niedziałkowski, K., Putkowska-Smoter, R. „The Change in the unchangeable: Moose conservation and forestry in Poland, 1919-2017”, Second International Forest Policy Meeting (11-13.04.2018, Wageningen, The Netherlands)
- Niedziałkowski, K., Shkaruba, A. “Can FSC certification succeed and fail in the same forest? Institutional politics of forest management in the transboundary Bialowieza Forest”, Second International Forest Policy Meeting (11-13.04.2018, Wageningen, The Netherlands)
- Niedziałkowski, K. “Caught between the pasts and the futures? The role of fictional expectations in the institutional dynamics of European bison conservation in Poland”, Max Planck Partner Group for the Sociology of Economic Life Conference (15-16.02.2018, IFiS PAN, Warszawa)
- Niedziałkowski K. 2017. Undermining the resilience: The deinstitutionalization of the land use planning sector in Poland [Symposium on Learning and Innovation in Resilient Systems, 23-24.03.2017, Heerlen, The Netherlands]
- Niedziałkowski K., Fronia M. 2016. Destabilizing the coal Goliath? Institutional change concerning renewable energy production as a potential factor eroding existing energy regime in Poland [3rd ESA RN12 Energy and Society Conference, 12-14.09.2016, Leipzig, Germany]
- Niedziałkowski K., Pietruczuk M., Pietrzyk-Kaszyńska, A., Grodzińska-Jurczak, M. 2015. Who can decide about nature? Multi-level and participatory characteristics of the protected areas governance in Poland [12the Conference of the European Sociological Association, 25-28.08.2015, Prague, Czech Republic].
- Niedziałkowski K., Paavola J., Jędrzejewska B. 2014.State forest service as a political actor. A conflict over the Białowieża Forest, Poland [2nd Nordic Conference on Forest Policy Science, 12-14.11.2014, Sweden].
- Niedziałkowski K., Grodzińska-Jurczak, M. 2014. How far should the European bison go? Controversies around biodiversity governance in designated and non-designated areas in Poland [Pathways Conference: Integrating Human Dimensions into Fisheries and Wildlife Management, 5-9.10.2014, Estes Park, CO, USA].
- Niedziałkowski, K., Paavola, J., Jędrzejewska, B., 2014. The impact of biodiversity discourse on the environmental conflicts in the European Union – Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe [Conference of the European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST), 17-19.09.2014, Toruń, Poland].
- Niedziałkowski K., Pietruczuk M., Pietrzyk-Kaszyńska, A., Grodzińska-Jurczak, M. 2014. Who can decide about nature? Multi-level and participatory characteristics of the protected areas governance in Poland [The 20th International Symposium on Society and Resource Management (ISSRM), 9-13.06.2014, Hannover, Germany].
- Niedziałkowski K., Paavola J., Jędrzejewska B. 2013. The impact of biodiversity discourse on the environmental conflicts in the European Union – Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe [European Sociological Association 11th Conference: Crisis, Critique and Change, 28-31.08.2013, Torino, Italy].
- Niedziałkowski K., Paavola J., Jędrzejewska B. 2013. The impact of biodiversity discourse on the environmental conflicts in the European Union – Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe. [Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting in Los Angeles, 9-13.04.2013, USA].
- Niedziałkowski K., Paavola J., Jędrzejewska B. 2013. The influence of NGOs on nature and landscape conservation policy – Evidence from environmental conflicts in Poland. [XV Meeting of the Polish Sociological Association, 11-14.09.2013, Szczecin].
- Niedziałkowski K., J. Paavola, and B. Jędrzejewska. 2012. Institutional tipping points and environmental conflicts over protected areas in Poland. [9th Convention of the Central and East European International Studies Association, 20-22.09.2012, Kraków].
- Niedziałkowski K., Paavola J., Jędrzejewska B. 2011. Institutional tipping points and environmental conflicts over protected areas in Poland. [9th International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics, 14-17.06.2011, Istanbul, Turkey].
- Niedziałkowski K. 2011. How to save the forest everyone wants to protect? – Political background of the conflict around the last patch of the primeval lowland forest in Europe. [ACES 2011, Conservation Conflicts: Strategies for coping with a changing world, 22-25.08.2011, Aberdeen, UK].
- Niedziałkowski K., Paavola J. 2010. Determinants and outcomes of environmental governance institutions in Poland before and after the accession to the EU: The tale of two roads. [Conference on Governance of Natural Resources in a Multi-Level Context, 20-22.01.2010, Leipzig, Germany].
- Niedziałkowski K., Paavola J., Jędrzejewska B. 2010. The impact of socio-economic transformations on biodiversity governance in Central Europe: The case of the Białowieża Primeval Forest, Poland. [Advancing Sustainability in a Time of Crisis, ISEE Conference, 22-25.08.2010, Oldenburg-Bremen, Germany].
- graphic design